Learn About the Dependent Child Tuition Program for JHHS/JHH Employees

What is the dependent child tuition program?

This benefit provides tuition assistance for unmarried naturally born, legally adopted children or qualified stepchildren under the age of 26 who are primarily dependent upon the eligible parent for financial support.  The dependents must be enrolled full time in an accredited degree-granting college or university. 

Which employees are eligible for this benefit?

All full time JHHSC/JHH employees, which includes: Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, Johns Hopkins Health Care, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation with a minimum of two years of consistent employment that are in good standing and have not been on corrective action within the past 12 months.

What is covered?

Employees are eligible to receive up to 50 percent, less taxes of the dependent child’s full time undergraduate tuition and mandatory academic fees not to exceed 50 percent of Johns Hopkins University’s freshman undergraduate tuition.  You are not eligible to receive tuition support on room, board, books, materials, part-time or graduate studies.

How do employees apply for this benefit?

Apply for this benefit via the online portal no later than 30 days after the start of the semester.  To access the tuition portal, simply log in to https://myjh.edu with your JHED ID and password.  Click on “Staff” and then click “Enrollment”.  At the bottom of the message, click the “I understand and agree button”.   Select tuition from the tabs at the top of the page.  Click on Dependent Child Tuition.  First time applicants must provide a copy of the birth certificate.  The remaining submissions must include a grade report from the prior semester printed from your dependent’s student portal.  This must contain your dependent’s name and the URL (www.mychild’sschool.edu...) of the site from which it was printed.  The following information also must come from the school’s portal and contain the URL: an itemized bill separating the cost of tuition and fees and your dependent’s enrollment schedule detailing the courses and number of credits.   You will also need a system generated tuition confirmation approval form signed by yourself.

What if the URL did not print with the other information when I printed the forms?

Try using a different internet browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox, etc.) as the setting in your current browser may be blocking the URL from printing. 

How long does it take to process my application?

It typically takes four to six weeks to process a tuition request.

How can I check to see if my request has been approved?

Log back into the tuition portal to view the status of your application.  If the status is “released to payroll”, your request has been processed.

How do employees receive the benefit reimbursement?

The benefit reimbursement will be itemized on your paycheck. JHHS/JHH does not pay the school directly. It is helpful to remember that this is a taxable benefit, so JHHSC/JHH may report the benefit amount as taxable income and withhold at a higher tax rate from such benefit amount from the employee’s other salary income. 

For more information, or to view the entire policy, please visit www.hopkinsmedicine.org/human_resources/  and click on Benefits, Tuition assistance, view the Dependent Child Tuition Assistance Policy-HR 335, or call 443-997-5400 and select option 4 to speak to a Tuition Benefits Coordinator. 




VN:F [1.9.17_1161]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }


Felecia September 22, 2014 at 8:27 am

My daughter has received the tuition benefit for the last four years. She changed her major last year and now has to complete a fifth year and she will be done in May 2015. I want to know is she still eligible and if so, do I need to complete another application. Please advise, Thanks.


Jamie August 3, 2014 at 8:55 am

When is the earliest you can apply for this benefit?


Jamie August 3, 2014 at 8:55 am

What is the earliest you can apply for this benefit?


vonda chaney July 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm

since I started in Mar 2013 & 2 years will be next Mar, should I apply prior to the spring 2015 semester or not eligible until fall 2015 my daughter's senior year?

also if approved for spring 2015, will I get a prorated portion since my 2 years wasn't before the start of her spring 2015 semester?

thank you


Armentia Berryman July 24, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hello Vonda,
Since Spring semester normally starts in January your first submission for this benefit would be Fall 2015. A proration would not be an option under the Dependent Child Tuition Program.
Armentia Berryman


Pamela Fogan July 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I'm a 17 year Suburban employee. Does this apply to Suburban employees.


Armentia Berryman July 23, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Hello Pamela,

Unfortunately, the Dependent Child Tuition Program only applies to JHHSC/JHH employees only.

Armentia Berryman


Dianne July 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

Is Bayview a part of the JHHS corporation?


Armentia Berryman July 23, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Hi Dianne,

Unfortunately, Bayview Dependent Child Tuition is not apart of the JHHSC/JHH Benefits. Bayview actually has their own Dependnent Child Tuition Program. You may contact Robin Poore in Human Resources 410-550-1133.

Armentia Berryman


Janice July 23, 2014 at 10:08 am

I work for Suburban, so I assume this benefit does not apply to me either. However, I wonder if there is any plan to make this benefit available to Suburban/Sibley employees in the future? Thank you.


Jamie July 23, 2014 at 9:51 am

I am a JHH RN. Am I eligible for this benefit as a 36 hour full-time employee?


katie July 23, 2014 at 8:11 am

I am a Sibley full time, 8 year, employee. I have two boys entering college this Fall, their freshman year. Can I apply for dependent child tuition assistance for " BOTH" of them or "ONE" of them?


JHHS Benefits Office July 23, 2014 at 9:26 am

This policy applies to The Johns Hopkins Hospital & Health System Corporation employees only. Currently, this policy does not apply to Sibley employees.


Cancel reply

Reply to katie:

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Johns Hopkins Medicine does not necessarily endorse, nor does Johns Hopkins Medicine edit or control, the content of posted comments by third parties on this website. However, Johns Hopkins Medicine reserves the right to remove any such postings that come to the attention of Johns Hopkins Medicine which are deemed to contain objectionable or inappropriate content.

Previous post:

Next post: